Standing water in your home can be a major problem. Not only is it an eyesore, but it can also be dangerous to your health. In this blog post, we will explain the many dangers of standing water and how it can be created in your home. We will then go over the following dangers: bacteria and viruses, mold, parasites and other pests, structural damage, and lastly, how standing water can be a danger to your family’s safety. We hope that this information helps you take the necessary steps to remove standing water from your home!
Standing water can lead to bacteria and viruses
Standing water can lead to bacteria and viruses such as E. coli and Salmonella, that can cause severe health problems. Not only can standing water creates an ideal breeding ground for these harmful bacteria, but it can also be a source of mold growth in your home.
Standing water can cause mold to form in your home
Mold is especially dangerous because it can cause respiratory problems like coughing, eye and skin irritation, post-nasal drip, dry skin, and nasal congestion. Mold can cause many different health problems even death in some cases. Learn more about Air Quality In Your Home.
Mold is a kind of fungus that can grow in wet places. It often looks like black, green, or white spots. Mold spores can cause a fowl musky odor and should never be ingested. See a great article about removing mold here.
There are many different types of mold, but the most common ones found in a flooded home are black mold and green mold. Black mold is dangerous because it can cause death. Green mold is also dangerous because it can cause respiratory problems and it can also be a source of bacteria. Learn more about how to spot mold in your home.
Standing water can attract parasites and pests
Additionally, standing water in your home attracts parasites and other pests, including Entamoeba, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium. These parasites can pose serious risks to your family’s health by causing things like diarrhea or vomiting. This can also affect your pets by making them sick.
What are parasites?
Parasites are tiny creatures that can live inside of you and make you sick. They often come from dirty water or food that is not cooked well. Some common parasites are:
Giardia– This parasite lives in dirty water and causes diarrhea and vomiting.
Cryptosporidium- This parasite also lives in dirty water and causes diarrhea. Click here to learn more about the parasite Cryptosporidium.
Entamoeba- This parasite lives in the gut of people and animals and causes diarrhea. Learn more about Entamoeba.
Standing water can cause structural damage to your home
Lastly, standing water in your home can lead to structural damage that poses serious safety concerns. If portions of your home collapse due to water damage, your family could be at risk for injuries or even death.
Structural damage in your home can be extremely dangerous
Structural damage to a home can be very dangerous. If water is standing in an area for a long time, it can start to damage the foundation and other structures of the home. This can lead to things like collapses, which can lead to serious injuries or even death. It is therefore important to take steps to remove any standing water as soon as possible if you are concerned about the structural stability of your home. Structural damage should be addressed as it can lead to The Loss of Your Home.
Structural damage happens when the water stands in one place for too long. It can make the house start to fall down because the water can eat away at support beams or cause the wooden framework to lose rigidity. This can be very dangerous because people could get hurt if it falls down on them.
Take action immediately if you have stagnant water in your home
If you are concerned about the dangers of standing water in your home, it is important to take steps to remove this potentially harmful substance as soon as possible. Some simple solutions include installing proper drainage systems and regular cleaning and drying of any areas that may be prone to moisture buildup. However, if these measures do not help, it may be necessary to consult a professional who can assess the extent of the problem and recommend an effective solution. Professionals use special equipment to deal with flood damage and fire damage. With proper care and attention, you can keep your home safe from all the dangers associated with standing water!
If your Gainesville home has been flooded or you have standing water, it’s important to call Pinnacle Restorations right away. We can help you clean up the water and restore your home to its original condition. Avoid health risks and the many dagers to your families wellbeing. Call now to book with Pinnacle Restorations today!